Thursday, October 24, 2013

Planning, Fundraising and Preparing

So, somewhere along our simple, comfortable, happy, 40-something, married-with-2-kids life, Ted and I decided to throw a wrench into said simple existance.

It started with our relationships with people who are either employed by, or support, Youth For Christ Canada.  They have travelled on mission trips to Ghana, Liberia and the Gambia, for starters.  They have become "seasoned" travellers to Africa, and have regalled us with their stories of strange foods, customs, suffering peoples, great faith and immense experiences. 

We sat cross-legged on the floor listening, and perhaps (at least for Jennifer) thinking that one day, that would be us. 

But, there were things to consider; like being away from our kids (aged 8 and almost-4 years), how do we pay for the trip, how do we keep paying bills while we're away, do we want to take a full year's vacation in one shot, what if we need days off later in the year? 

All big questions, with no answers (or not very attractive ones).  So, we decided to hold off, and maybe, one day, we would get our chance.

Fast forward a few years, and suddenly Ted's boss at Ste. Anne's Spa is asking us if we would be interested in representing Ste. Anne's in Uganda in February 2014.  They would foot the bill, we would fundraise for additional funds, vacation would be sorted out. 

The answer was quick, although Ted saved it for at least 24 hours to make sure, and it was a simple and resounding, "Yes".

So here we are, October 24th, about to attend, and work our butts off at, a Lasagna Supper for the whole team, which comprises of 12 of us including our 2 leaders.  It will be a full day in Mississauga slugging dishes, food and cleaning up afterwards. 

There are few things I hate more than giving up one entire day out of my weekend, but it's for our trip, so there is no way we could say no.

On top of that, we're planning our own fundraiser for New Year's Eve, and desperately hoping the tickets start to sell a little faster, because I'm fairly certain that the measly 10 people we know are coming at this point will not be enough to raise the kind of money we need.

But all of that is just money.  There are bigger issues at hand.

What happens to our beautiful (although crazy) kids while we're away? 

Well, I'm hoping family will commit and come stay with them, because of course, that's the easiest on the kids. 

There are other options though, with our Africa-experienced friends, but I feel it would likely be a patchwork of people, and while my kids know and trust them all, it would probably be pretty disjointed and chaotic for them. 

So we wait, somewhat patiently, for people to make up their minds.

It is understandable though.  Their hesitation.  It's not my kids, while they drive us insane, that miracle-thing happens when other people are watching them, and they behave like angels - well, mostly.  Still, I don't think that's the hesitation.

I know it's about where and why we're going.  It's scary, different, and very far away.

But, here's the reason.  The why to the first question.  There is one thing that I've come to realize in my life: No man (or woman) is an island. 

You need others around you to challenge you, kick you in the butt when you need it, to give you a hand up when you fall down (or provide the cupcake incentive to make you do it on your own).  You need people to hug you when you're sad, hold your hand when you're scared, sit quietly while you complain and agree with everything you say (note to men here - quietly and agree), help you plan your parties, laugh at your kids, commiserate about your job.  All of it.  In our country, it's not hard to come up with the hardships or troubled times we routinely experience that we lean on our friends and family for.  People (and I really mean me here), complain about these things all the time.

In Uganda, those troubles are more like, how do I survive with Malaria, who will raise my kids when I die, who will raise my grandkids when I die, how can I feed my family on 1 cup of rice, how can I send my kids to school without money for uniforms or school supplies, how do I teach my kids to avoid the police when they have nothing to do all day so they don't get thrown in prison?  And a whole host of things that I don't know anything about, but will probably find out soon enough.

This boils down to me, as rich and poor, and whenever I see those people on TV that are disgustingly rich, I think to myself, "I hope they are helping those less fortunate than they are". 

And lets face it, I'm thinking of me. 

I'd like Donald Trump's car to breakdown outside my house, so I can give him a toilet and a phone to use, and have him pay my mortgage off as a "thank you".  Who doesn't want that? 

But really, I don't NEED that.  I can continue paying my mortgage, and even if we lose our house, we can rent one, or find an apartment, or lean on friends/family who have extra room while we're getting back on our feet.  But how do you do that when the entire community you live in is in the same boat as you?

If you compare our lives to those living in the slums in Africa, there are very few similarities.  We worry about wifi, they worry about food.  We worry about getting enough sleep so we can go to work the next day, they wish they had opportunities like we do to work and make money.  We worry about vacation plans, they worry about dying and leaving their kids or grandkids to fend for themselves.  We worry about getting screwed over at work, they worry about children sold into the sex trade.

It's not the same, it's not even in the same continent as the same.  And when they look at our lives, I wonder if they're thinking "I hope they are helping those less fortunate than they are". 

So, if I'm filthy rich compared to them, you bet I'm going to try to help them out.

Some might say, there are people in our own country who need help.  Why not help them? 

Yes, do help them, as I do. 

Volunteer with youth to give them other things to think about, rather than falling into temptations like sex and drugs. 

Donate money to United Way, so they can help in very specific ways by passing that money on to other organizations who offer specialized assistance, like shelters and special education efforts. 

And pray.  Pray for those you know in need, and pray for those you don't, especially when you hear police/fire/ambulance sirens.

But this time, I'm going to travel to a place where I can help someone out and look them in the eye when I do it. 

It's what we, as humans, are meant to do for each other.

But that's not until February 2014.  In the meantime, we wait, we plan, we prepare.  And when February comes, we'll jump, with both feet, and trust that God's got it all figured out.

Please join us on this blog as we prepare, and then later, as we travel to Jinja, Uganda, and hear about all the crazy things we'll learn about our world and ourselves. 

It's bound to be one-heck of a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment